Review: Benefit Dr. Feelgood

Friday, March 12


Okay. Technically Dr. Feelgood is supposed to be used as a makeup setter. I use it as a primer, though, since I hate all other primers I've tried. Dr. Feelgood is a translucent, mattifying "complexion balm" meant to smooth pores and fine lines. In my experience, it has done exactly what it's supposed to do. I put this on before I put on any other makeup. And I only put on a LIGHT layer. This is key with this product. If you put a ton on, you'll be able to feel it, and you'll be able to see it, and it'll be flaky and gross. You only need to use enough to get by. And remember: You can always go back and get more product if you end up not having enough on the sponge.

I know many people have complained about breaking out because of this product and have completely written it off and have told other people to write it off, as well. Now, listen, I get the whole "breaking-out" thing. My skin is crazy, too. Yes, I encourage you to stop using a product if it causes you to break out. But everyone's skin is different. The only thing you can really do is try a product for yourself.

Overall, I love this product. I love the Vitamin E and C, which help to create a smooth base for my makeup, and, actually, I have gone out in public with just this product on my face, and with a little mascara, and have felt perfectly fine. It is a clear product, which is great. All other primers I've used have had a weird tint to them which never matched my super-pale skin. It does have a light scent to it, sort of lemony and powdery I guess, but the scent doesn't bother me. Also, let me note the packaging really quickly. It's adorable. Now, I'm a sucker for things in cute vintage tins. This has got to be one of the best I've seen.

Do I recommend this product? Definitely. It makes my skin silky and smooth, it takes away the oiliness and shininess of my skin, it's cute, and it works. It's not cheap, at $28.00, but a little goes a long way, and I've had my tin of it for over five months and have barely used any of it. I bought mine at Sephora, but it's available for purchase at Benefit's website, as well as many other retailers and etailers.

(Image via Google. My own product is in no state to be photographed.)